My “This for That” section will cover all of the foods we now eat to replace the ones we used to eat.
One of my husband and son’s favorite things to eat is wings. My son usually orders Teriyaki, but he told me the other night he wants to try to start eating spicy wings because that is what his friends eat. Following is my attempt to make a healthy hot wing. They turned out great! My husband called me from the car just to tell me how good they were (I packed them up for him to take to work). The recipe can be easily doubled or tripled if you are having company. I had my daughter help me peel the carrots and as she did this, she ate the carrots! As we were putting the celery and carrots on the dish, everyone stopped in the kitchen and grabbed a few to eat. If healthy is available, healthy they will eat!
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) and place wings on greased sheet pan. We use the Misto Gourmet Olive Oil Sprayer to grease the pan. I have Trader Joe’s California Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil in my sprayer.
Why are these wings better for you than pre-packaged wings or wings from a restaurant? Here is the breakdown:
– Organic Chicken: Good source of protein with no presence of antibiotics. Organic chicken contains ten times more omega-3s.
- Ghee: Ghee is made by a simple process of gently simmering butter to remove potential allergens such as casein and lactose. What remains is the pure butter oil, which promotes good helath and longevity. Ghee is a natural source of CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) and the important fat-soluble vitamins A,D and K2 that are critical for maintaining good health. CLA slows the progress of some types of cancer and heart disease and appears to help reduce body fat and increase lean muscle mass. We use Grassfed Organic Ghee. The only ingredient is 100% Organic Butter.
– Apple Cider Vinegar: Detoxes the body, lowers high cholesterol and high blood pressure, kills candidia and fungus, eases arthritis and stomach acid.
– Paprika: Has very powerful anti-inflammatory properties and is very high in vitamin C which is known for fighting off infections and helping your body absorb foods that are high in iron.
– Cayenne Pepper: Helps adjust blood pressure to healthy levels, regulates blood flow, helps prevent blood clots, cleans artereies, increases metabolism, helps the digestive system process and eliminate foods, boosts immune systems, improves energy levels and can kill cancer cells in the lungs, prostate and pancreas.
– Black Pepper: Helps with digestion, promotes healthy skin, antibacterial, keeps arteries clean and relieves joint pain.
– Garlic Powder: Has all the benefits of whole garlic because it is a powdered version of whole garlic (Mayo Clinic). Helps to reduce cholesterol, strengthens the immune system and has a blood-thinning benefit.
– Celery Seed: The antioxidants in celery seed may help lower the risk of cell damage and chronic inflammation, which are know to contribute to many types of cancer. The seed is also high in antioxidants, is an effective pain reliever, high in calcium and lowers blood pressure.
Every ingredient promotes health rather than deteriorates your health! NOW… here are the ingredients in some other types of wings:
FOSTER FARMS, CHICKEN WINGS, HOT AND SPICY
INGREDIENTS: Chicken Wing Sections, Water, Buffalo Sauce (Pepper Sauce (Aged Cayenne Pepper, Vinegar, Spice, Modified Cornstarch, Salt, Natural Flavor, Xanthan Gum)), Contains Less than 2 percent of Wheat Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Modified Food Starch, Rice Flour, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Spices, Distilled Vinegar, Natural Flavor, Xanthan Gum Spice Extractive, Parfried in Vegetable Oil.
PERDUE, WINGSTERS, GLAZED SPLIT CHICKEN WINGS, 2ND SECTIONS, BUFFALO STYLE
INGREDIENTS: Split Second Joint Chicken Wing Sections, Water, Contains 2% or Less of Sodium Lactate, Potassium Lactate, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Sodium Diacetate, Modified Cornstarch, Natural Flavor, Breaded with Bleached Wheat Four, Salt, Vital Wheat Gluten, Modified Cornstarch, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten,Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Spices, Sodium Alginate, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil and/or Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Glazed with Distilled Vinegar, Aged Cayenne Red Pepper, Water, Salt, Modified Cornstarch, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil and/or Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Glazed with Distilled Vinegar, Aged Cayenne Red Pepper, Water, Salt, Modified Cornstarch, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Paprika, Oleoresin Paprika, Xanthan Gum, Natural Flavor, Sodium Benzoate (0.1% as a Preservative), Mono and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Ground Habanero Peppers, Garlic Powder, Polysorbate 60, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Citric Acid.
HOOTERS, CHICKEN WINGS
INGREDIENTS: Chicken Wing Portions and Drumsticks, Water, Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Modified Food Starch, Isolated Soy Protein, Breaded with Bleached Wheat Flour, Salt, Spice, Monosodium Glutamate, Battered with Water, Yellow Corn flour, Bleached Wheat Flour, Salt, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Guar Gum, Nonfat Milk, Eggs, Spices, Predusted with Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Wing Sauce Butter (Sweet Cream, Salt), Spices, Venegar, Water, Salt, Soybean Oil, Cultured Whey Proten Concentarte and Maltodextrin, Propylene glycol Alginate, Potassium Sorbate (as a preservative), Xanthan Gum, Spice Extractives, Calcium Disodium EDTA (to protect freshness).
T.G.I FRIDAY’S, BUFFALO WINGS
INGREDIENTS: Seasoned Chicken Wings (Chicken Wing Sections, Water, Rice Flour, Modified Food Starch [Corn and Potato], Wheat Flour, Salt, Isolated Soy Protein, Sodium Phosphate, Cornstarch Carrageenan), Buffalo Sauce (Vinegar, Aged Cayenne Pepper, Water, Salt, Natural Flavor, Modified Cornstarch, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Caramel Color, Oleoresin Paprika [Color], Garlic), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil.
Please reference to my label library to read about the ingredients I bolded. Those are the ingredients to avoid at all times.
~ Eat Healthy. Feel Healthy. Be Healthy.