This was my daughter’s lunch today. Tuna is one of her favorites as long as I make it without the celery and relish. We use Wild Planet Wild Albacore Tuna, No Salt Added — this tuna has no water, oil or fillers added. Further it contains no BPA, is sustainably caught, is low mercury and high omega 3. Another great thing about this tuna is you don’t have to drain it — the tuna steaks are hand-cut and packed in a micro-cannery process allowing all the omega 3 oils to be retained so no liquid needs to be added.
Today I mixed the tuna with whole grain dijon mustard and Spectrum Naturals Organic Mayonnaise with Olive Oil (Organic expeller pressed soy and/or canola oil, organic whole eggs, organic egg yolks, organic extra virgin olive oil, filtered water, organic honey, organic distilled vinegar, sea salt, organic mustard (organic distilled vinegar, water, organic mustard seed, salt, organic spices), organic lemon juice concentrate.) Notice the first ingredient in this mayonnaise is soy and/or canola oil and the fourth ingredient is olive oil. This is a great example of misleading labels. You would think by reading the front of the label that this was made from olive oil only. (The ingredients are listed according to how much of the ingredient is in the food. So for example, if the first item on the ingredient list is “water”, then there is more water used in the item then any other ingredient.) That being said, we do not use mayonaise often because it is loaded with highly refined oils, but when we do this is our best quick option. I have made mayonnaise in the past and it has been good, but I don’t like the idea of feeding my kids raw eggs, which is one of the main ingredients in homemade mayonnaise.
Here is what else is in her lunch today:
– Organic edamame. I purchase Seapoint Farms Organic Edamame in the frozen section of my grocery store. Seapoint Farms uses only non-GMO (non-genetically modified organism) soybeans. I put them in her lunch frozen and they are defrosted by the time she eats.
It is important to purchase organic edamame (if it is organic, it is non-gmo). The only soy products fit for human consumption are fermented and organic and you will never find this type of soy in any processed foods.
– Organic carrots. We cut and peeled these ourselves versus purchasing baby carrots because my daughter LOVES to peel carrots and she loves helping to prepare her lunch. I feel when I get my kids involved in the meal planning process, they are more open to trying new things.
– Organic mandarin oranges. We used to purchase the pre-packaged mandarin oranges, but my kids like the fresh ones just as much. Here are the ingredients for the no-sugar added mandarin oranges: Mandarin Oranges, Water, Sorbitol, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Cellulose Gum. Buy fresh and steer clear of unnecessary additives.
– Shelled Pistachios. Great little salty treat. If you belong to Costco, buy your shelled pistachios there, it is the best value I have found.
– Organic strawberries & mango. She likes her fruit served with a toothpick so her fingers don’t get sticky :). I don’t purchase organic mangoes because they are part of the Clean 15, meaning they contain some of the lowest pesticide residue than any other fruits. You are also not eating the skin, which protects the fruit from pesticide. Fewer than 10 percent of pineapple, mango, and avocado samples had detectable pesticides on them and fewer than one percent of samples had more than one pesticide residue.
– Water. She uses a Klean Kanteen water bottle.
My daughter has a PlanetBox. You can purchase these from Amazon.com or Pottery Barn Kids. Here are some details about the lunchbox — my favorite part is that it is non-toxic and dishwasher safe! There is a pouch that holds a thermos on the outside of the lunch bag, we always fill this with water.
- Complete eco-friendly solution designed to make packing healthy lunches easy and fun
- Includes stainless steel lunchbox, 2 round lidded containers; a soft carry bag, and set of hip magnets
- Individual compartments ensure foods don’t touch each other and arrive looking neat and appealing
- Made out of safe, non-toxic, and recycled materials – no lead, PVC, phthalates, or BPA
- All in one piece design for easy care and cleaning – no mismatched lids to lose – dishwasher safe
~ We need to teach our children TO EAT REAL FOOD. No Fast Foods. No Junk Foods. No Processed Foods. Just Honest, Nutritious, Real Food.