This was one of the first recipes I started using when we began our non-processed food journey. It is such an exciting recipe because it takes so little time to prep and you come home to an amazing meal! The whole family loves it, guests love it and our dog loves it :). I usually serve it with a roasted or steamed vegetable. Try it with brussel sprouts, they are quick to prep and will keep your time in the kitchen to a minimum. This chicken also pairs well with mashed sweet potatoes. We eat organic chicken a lot, it is a good source of protein with no presence of antibiotics and organic chicken contains ten times more omega-3s.
The recipe comes from Kathy at Food.com. I tweaked it a bit to make it less spicy for my kids. The first time I made it, they complained it was too spicy. Thus, if you prefer non-spicy I suggest omitting the white pepper and cayenne pepper. I omitted both and honestly could not tell the difference, other than it did not have that spicy kick. I also cut down on the salt… the original recipe called for 4 teaspoons, which I thought was unnecessary.
Crock Pot Whole Chicken
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 4 pound roasting chicken (organic if possible)
- 1 cup chopped onion
1. Place chopped onion in bottom of crock pot.
2. In a small bowl, combine the spices.
3. Remove any giblets from chicken and clean chicken.
4. Place chicken in crock-pot.
5. Rub spice mixture onto the chicken.
6. No liquid is needed, the chicken will make it’s own juices.
7. Cook on high 4-5 hours. (All crock pots cook faster/slower than others, so check your chicken at 4 hours. If you can get a chicken with a pop up timer, that would work too.) *My crock pot cooks a 4 pound chicken in 4 hours on high.
* The original recipes calls for 4-8 hours on low. I needed dinner ready in 4 hours the last time that I made this, so I cooked it on high for 4 hours and it came out perfect.
To receive daily health tips and gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and sugar-free meal/snack ideas, like us at www.facebook.com/wholefoodrealfood.
“When you know better, you do better.”