My husband felt a cold coming on last night so he asked me to make him one of my potions :). His nickname for me is the witch-doctor because I love using natural remedies. The drink I chose to make him consisted of the following mixed into a 10oz glass of warm water:
- Juice from 1 small organic lemon (with peel)
- Juice from a thumb-size ginger
- 2 tablespoon raw honey
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
Many people think taking vitamin C for cold and flu is good. It’s true, however, without bioflavonoids, you will need a lot more vitamin C for healing. When you juice a lemon with the peel, it provides high content of bioflavonoids that help to super-boost your recovery.
Many vitamin C supplements consist of synthetically derived ascorbic acid. This is virtually ineffective. Without the natural citrus bioflavonoids, ascorbic acid is easily oxidized and can actually be harmful to the body. This is why whole food nutrition is so much better than synthetically derived supplements. The best sources of citrus bioflavonoids are in lemons, limes, grapefruits, oranges, & tangerines. (Source)
If you do not have a juicer to juice the lemon and the ginger, a teaspoon of honey (raw is best) and a 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon will usually knock out a cold within a day or two if taken twice a day for 3 days. Cinnamon is 26 percent sulfur based and honey is 33 percent sulfur based, making their combination 59 percent sulfur based and the reason why their combination is so effective. Sulfur stimulates the body’s natural healing powers, causing a general improvement of symptoms.
When coming down with a cold or flu the herb to take is actually a food: scallions. Scallions release the pathogen by inducing sweating. Simmer scallion or other onion along with garlic and ginger and drink the broth to keep a cold or flu from going deeper.
If a cold or flu has gone deeper and has affected the muscles, the herb of choice is cinnamon. Cinnamon is warming and can help when you are feeling weak especially if sweating does not help you feel better. In this case, cinnamon will warm, strengthen and increase immunity.
Fresh ginger is also warm and releases the pathogen. Similar to cinnamon, ginger strengthens the immunity for weaker people who are sweating without relief of symptoms.
A nice tea for the fall, especially when feeling chilled and trying to recover from a cold or flu, is made by simmering a couple of cinnamon sticks and sliced fresh ginger in water for at least 20 minutes, strain and drink as needed. (Source)
To receive daily health tips and gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and sugar-free meal/snack ideas, like us at www.facebook.com/wholefoodrealfood.
Eat Better. Feel Better.
Do u have bathing for arthritis??? My dad suffers from it . Thanks!!!!! Amanda
Hi Amanda! Bathing in apple cider vinegar can help reduce the symptoms and pain of arthritis. Pour 1-2 cups of 100% apple cider vinegar to a bathtub of warm to hot water. Soak in the tub for up to 30 minutes. This is excellent for excess uric acid in the body and especially for the joints, arthritis, bursitis, tendonitis, and gout. Drink plenty of water before and after the bath.
There is also a juice recipe you can make to ease the pain of arthritis: 6 carrots, 3 celery stalks, 1 cup pineapple, 1/2 lemon. Juice all ingredients together. Fresh pineapple contains bromelian (enzyme) which works as a natural anti-inflammatory substance for swollen and painful joints.
Hope this helps!